Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thank you is the hardest word

It is not sorry anymore. While growing up I believe that parents taught their children to say thank you if anyone gave you a favour or even if someone did something to make your work easier. Practically thank you can be uttered in so many ways to show appreciation.

A simple thank you makes a person satisfied for doing something to you. It also delivers some kind of feeling how their help meant to that particular person. Once in a while thank you will brighten ones life since it is a sign of sincereness. It’s not how often you say it, but more to whether saying it or not.

We even send thank you cards or personal notes to friends or family members for being there or for even helping us out. I noticed that thank you can also be spread to someone for no particular reason for example by saying that it was nice to meet you or I really had fun going out with you guys. These are all examples of thank you in different words. Words that are meaningful. Sincere. These kind words can make a difference...

Today, I think people just don’t know how to say thank you. Or maybe they have forgotten the word. When helping a colleague for her exam paper, no thank you. When opening the door, I didn’t get any thank you. When giving someone something, still not a word of thanks. When providing an idea, yes, still nothing… WHY?

Am I so fragile and sensitive actually? Or is the world getting mean?

So much for teaching my students to write thank you notes to those who gave you something or those who are special to you. No matter how hard we teach, whether we know how to or not, I believe there are still some that are some people who are ignorant and maybe slightly selfish. Maybe? Only god knows.

Writing this makes me recall on the number of time I have actually said thank you to my parents. I think it is not enough, eventhough by saying thank you as often as I can I will not cover everything that they’ve done for me.

Thank you for reading. That’s from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment